Start a Local Affiliate
The stakes could not be higher for the nation and its most vulnerable citizens. The Urban League Movement demands that new affiliates demonstrate the capacity to function as 21st Century advocacy and service organizations from day one. Before certification, each National Urban League affiliate must meet set standards for organizational structure, leadership strength, and financial viability.
The certification process is straightforward and presented to applicants as a step-by-step process. Establishing an affiliate is a true collaboration. At every stage, the National Urban League’s Affiliate Services Department acts as a partner, providing information, relevant materials, and onsite technical assistance to facilitate a smooth path to affiliation.
Minimum Criteria for Affiliation
- Evidence of broad community support and financial sustainability
- A significant African-American population with needs aligned with the National Urban League mission
- No other affiliate within a 50-mile radius
- A completed community needs assessment conducted by the local sponsoring group
- Sufficient revenue in hand or secured financial commitments to support an annual operating budget of at least $500,000 tor three years (a total of $150,000)
For additional information, please contact Sabrina Charles, director, Affiliate Network Relations, at email@example.com